Saturday, September 5, 2009

Twice Baked Potatoes

On Friday night, we had some friends over for dinner and I tried a new recipe. I don't make a habit of trying new dishes, that I have never made, and serving them to my friends...but I figured they would still love us, even if these tanked! It turned out that they were really yummy. They reminded me A LOT of potato skins, but with a little more meat on their bones! So here is the recipe for Twice Baked Potatoes:



You will need:
6 large baking potatoes
8 slices of fried, crumbled bacon (I cheated and bought the real bacon bits)
1 cup sour cream
1/4 cup of milk or half and half
2-3 tablespoons butter
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon pepper
1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
8 green onions sliced

-Preheat your oven to 350 degrees.
-Bake the potatoes for 1 hour. I placed mine in a baking dish and covered tightly with foil.
-Cool potatoes 10 minutes.
-Slice potatoes in half lengthwise, and scoop out flesh. This was the tricky part. I used a melon baller to begin with, but left some potato flesh around the edges when they started tearing.
-Place skins back in a greased baking dish.

-To scooped potatoes...add sour cream, milk, butter, salt, pepper, 1/2 cup cheese, and 1/2 of the onions. Mix well with a hand mixer.
-Spoon mixture into skins. You will have some left over and these make great loaded mashed potatoes.
-Top with remaining cheese and bacon.
-Bake at 350 degrees for 15 minutes.
-Top with remaining onions.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Jess, these look yummy! I used to make them all the time, but for some reason I forgot about them. Thanks for the reminder. I think I'll make them this week!

Michelle said...

These were very very yummy! Jonathan and I talked about how good they were on the way home. and he keeps talking about how much he liked the chicken. Did you guys grill the chicken?