Sunday, January 9, 2011

Meatloaf Casserole

I will be sharing this over at Crystal and Co.
I came across this recipe in one of the emails Pillsbury sends me every couple days.  I signed up for the coupons (shhhh!), but every once in a blue moon I find a recipe that sounds appealing, easy, and doesn't require me to purchase 9+ of their ingredients!

Well, here's my version of their Meatloaf Casserole:

In a bowl, I mixed by hand
-1 pound of ground beef
-about 1/4 cup bread crumbs
-1 tablespoon A1 steak sauce
-half of a small onion (minced)
-salt and pepper (about 1/4 teaspoon each)
-1/2 of a beaten egg (about 2 tablespoons)

OR  you can basically make your meatloaf recipe minus ANY ketchup

Next, press this meatloaf mixture into the bottom of a greased (I used PAM) loaf pan

In a separate bowl, I made homemade mashed potatoes.  They called for instant, but I had a 5 pound bag of potatoes that needed to be used.  I used a little less milk to make them thicker than usual and then I added the remaining beaten egg.  I also stirred in 1/4 cup of shredded cheddar cheese.

If you want to use instant, simply make them according to the directions, add the egg mixture and 1/4 cup shredded cheese of your choice!

Pour the mashed potatoes on top of the meatloaf mixture and bake for 30 minutes at 350!  I also added a little more shredded cheese to each of our portions and we, of course, enjoyed it with sweet peas and ketchup. 










This was a huge dinner hit and I will be adding it to my list of favorite recipes...I am thinking it could be made earlier in the day and then baked at the last minute!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

What a great way to change things up a bit with meatloaf. I have done something similar with muffin tins and made individual mini meatloaves.

Thanks for linking up. I am sharing this over on Facebook.

:)