Monday, November 1, 2010

Get Real!!!

I came across a blog post today that I really needed to read.  I really needed reminding.  I really needed to recommit myself to something I discovered a year ago.  I ask you first to read it here.   Her name is Katie and she has no idea the inspiration she gives me.  I also love love love her menu planning blog  Meal Planning Mommies that she hosts with several other moms.  The recipes are easy and so yummy!

So hopefully you have read her Behold the Mom post now, and you will understand what I am talking about.

About a year ago I really struggled with juggling a toddler and keeping my home clean, oh and also keeping us fed.  I was mortified when someone dropped by unannounced.  When said unannounced family or friend dropped by, I opened the door and uttered something along the lines of what Katie said in her post....


"Hi. Welcome! I am so sorry the house is a mess, we have had a crazy day and there was just no time to pick it up. I am so embarrassed."  
Actually, I just cleaned the house in a huge hurry and sacrificed time with my children, yelled at them even for getting in the way when I could have been loving on them, but I don't want you to know that. I want you to think that I have it all together, that on top of being able to parent, have hobbies, and tutor your kid I also can keep a immaculate house. I want you to think that I am amazing and I want you to like me. Somehow if my house is clean, but I pretend that I think it is dirty you will think I am one heck of a gal and like me.

Could not have said it better myself, Katie!

I got better.  I started leaving the laundry basket full of clean but unfolded clothes on the couch.  I started leaving the dishes in the sink.  I started letting my house be lived in, and liking it.  

I stopped assuming that if the house were not perfectly picked up when my hubby got home, he would think I had been taking day-long bubble baths and watching soaps!  I stopped apologizing for being me, since I didn't mean it anyway.  

Now don't get me wrong.  I pick up.  I just don't necessarily do it any more just because someone is coming over.  I started giving myself permission to Get Real!

Well, here was my favorite part of her post.
I want you to find freedom, true freedom. This is found in Jesus Christ. What he did, he did for you. Within his heart, bared and open and hiding nothing, can be found one prevailing thing of which he carries no shame~ love abounding for you and me. Behold HIM.

1 comment:

Mary said...

AWESOME, AWESOME!!! I needed to read that too...this is always a struggle for me and I do well with it for a while and then feel myself start to slip into old attitudes. I need to print that out and read it every morning!